Empowered by love, we transform ourselves, to preserve our world...
UU Earth Action
4th Sundays, 11:30 - 12:30pm
All are welcome who wish to join us in loving our Earth. This group works to uplift our 7th Principle through Education, Advocacy, and Action. They are looking for new members, particularly those with a talent for tech, in the new church year and welcome new ideas on how to make our church and our community more eco-friendly.
The Interfaith Earthkeepers are made up of people from different faiths working together to save planet earth. From their website: “We advocate for the powerless and our endangered planet, and demonstrate possibility in the face of antipathy. We support a ban on fossil fuel infrastructure development and on fossil fuel exports. We support electric vehicles, solar power, labelled GMOs, a carbon tax and campaign finance reform.” Click the link to their website above to learn more about local and national climate news, and for their meeting schedule.
Resources and Sustainable Practice from UUCE Members:
Zero (or low) Waste Products – from Church Member Julie Marchini:
Other Suggestions and Resources for more Sustainable Habits:
- Handwashing with soap bars using a soap tray (alternative to liquid soap)
- Buy in bulk and bring your own containers to fill with detergents, liquid soaps, lotions – at any natural food store – just as you can do for nut butters, oil, vinegar and other bulk food items
- Make sure your car always has adequate bags, containers, etc. for shopping trips.
- Bring your own eating supplies to events.
- Have a “take out” container when you eat out to take home the leftovers
- When planning events, borrow or rent tableware, napkins, etc. instead of using single use.
- Bamboo toothbrushes with natural bristles.
- Wooden brushes with natural bristles (for hair and cleaning).
- Join the local Facebook “Buy Nothing” group and explore what it’s like to be part of a “gift economy” where you give things you no longer need and ask for things you do need.
- When you’ve made the decision that you need to buy something, explore USED options such as our many resale stores, as well as The Restore or Bring for building materials and misc.
- Consider buying used clothing – especially if you can’t afford more sustainable textiles – here’s a good, easy read, “Should I wear plants or plastic?”