SpiritJam is for people of all ages, but youth can have a special role in the program as mentors and teaching associates for jam sessions.
Middle schoolers are integrated into jam sessions as mentors:
- Middle school mentors choose a Jam to support for that day.
- Mentors model good participation and help support the Teaching Associates and Lead Teachers as needed – a great way to develop leadership skills!
- Mentoring prepares middle schoolers for having their own adult mentors during the Coming of Age program (offered during their 8-9th grade year).
- Mentors are encouraged to lead jams, too!
High schoolers are invited to jam with us as Teaching Associates! Or as jam participants. Or, they can attend Youth Group on Sunday mornings.
Designed for people in 9-12th grades, youth group is facilitated by a team of volunteer advisors and youth leaders. Gatherings begin with chalice lighting and check-in. Participants share a reading, prayer, song, or other deepening activity. Youth get involved through:
- Sunday worship – 1-2 times a year
- Music performances at multigenerational services – as needed
- Creating and leading Jam sessions 3-6 times a year
- Community outreach and service projects – 1-2 times a year