COMING of AGE
A RITE of PASSAGE PROGRAM for YOUTH in 8TH-9TH GRADE
The Unitarian Universalist Church in Eugene
As Unitarian Universalists, we are called to reach for truth and meaning throughout our lifetimes. The Coming of Age program is designed to provide young people with a supportive and nurturing environment in which to do so. Challenging and fun, each session is designed to provide youth with an opportunity to dig deeper into their own life experiences and make meaning as they transition fully into adolescence.
In the Coming of Age program, families and youth will participate in a program that recognizes the growing capacities of adolescent children for responsibility and autonomy, spirituality and depth, while still offering the nurturing and protection young people need.
- Two sessions per month for youth
- One session per month for mentors
- Monthly check-in for parents
- One major retreat weekend
- Opening and Closing Celebration Dinners (semi-potluck style)
- Mentor relationships with practicing UUs
EXPLORATION OF SELF:
What do you believe? And why? Who are you, and how do you define yourself?
LEARNING FROM/WITH OTHERS:
Work with a mentor. Develop positive relationships with all ages. Practice teamwork.
Serve others and the world. Work for a greater good.
Explore many ways to commune with the divine. Rites of passage. Create worship for others. Write a personal Credo.
2017-18 SCHEDULE OUTLINE
- October 29, 2017 – Parent Orientation – youth are welcome, but not required to attend this session
- November 5, 2017 – Ropes Course! All interested youth encouraged to attend
- November 19, 2017 – Deadline to register for program
- December 3, 2017 – Mentor Applications Due
Coming of Age begins in earnest!!
- January 14, 2018 – Youth session: Transition & Transformation – What Now?
- January 14, 2018 – COA Family Dinner: The Masks We Wear
- January 28, 2018 – Youth and mentor session: Wisdom Circle
- February 11, 2018 – Youth session: Building Your Own Mythology – The Monsters Within
- February 25, 2018 – Youth and mentor session: Wisdom Circle
- March 11, 2018 – Youth session: Spiritual Practices – Inipi Ceremony
- March 25, 2018 – Youth and mentor session: Wisdom Circle
- April 8, 2018 – Youth session: Quest for Meaning – Giving Back
- April 22, 2018 – Youth and mentor session: Wisdom Circle
- May 6, 2018 – Youth session: Credo Writing – Defining Self
- May 18-20, 2018 – Vision Quest Weekend
- May 27, 2018 – Youth and mentor session: Wisdom Circle
- June 9, 2018 – Credo Dinner
- June 10, 2018 – Bridging Sunday for High School Seniors – special mention of CoA graduates!
October 29th, after church service: 11:00-12:30
All potential Coming of Age families are asked to attend. Youth are welcome to attend, but are not required at this session. Bring your own brown bag lunch if needed.
When families feel ready to commit to the program, please follow the link below to sign up for Coming of Age. The deadline for registering is November 19th.
There are sections for both parents and youth to fill out, so please make sure everyone is available before you begin:
FOR MORE INFO, CONTACT:
DIRECTOR OF RELIGIOUS EDUCATION: Katy Siepert……..……………………………..541-686-2775, ext. 2
C.O.A.S.T. (Coming of Age Support Team): Judy Shaw, Shane Nelson, and Rachael Pruitt